Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Taking the dogs into the woods

We have a beautiful woods right down the street, and so Janine, Sadie, Lucy and I walked through them yesterday.

Sadie just loves the woods. Janine lets her off her leash and she runs like a gazelle. It is beautiful to watch. She positively finds mud to gallop through and scales tall riverbanks like the antelopes do on Planet Earth. Not only that, but Sadie comes when called, meaning that if other dogs are around, there are no worries.

Lucy, on the other hand, could do without the woods. Take her off her leash and she turns to go home. So I walk ahead and pull her behind me, kind of like one of those pull toy dogs the kids used to have. You know the type - you walk and they move up and down and clack. That's Lucy. She moves in fits and starts in the woods.

Sometimes I wonder if Sadie and Lucy are even the same species. How can a Dachshund and a Vizsla possibly both be dogs? Cats are cats. Birds are birds. And humans, well we all look pretty much the same anyway, no matter how we might act. But dogs can be as different from each other as they are from cats.

It's all rather amazing, don't you think?

6 comments:

  1. I love that about dogs, though. It's crazy watching those animated dog movies and realizing that the animators really nailed each of the breeds' personalities - like the dominant German shepherd and the prim, proper poodle. I have a golden retriever and I love her personality and temperament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think that about the movies too! How do they get it so right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one day Lucy will wake up to realize she's a dog and not a stubborn old goat. Gotta love her will. We can all learn a little something from her. She knows what she wants and doesn't want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though I have no dogs of my own it is always fun to visit my sister and brother-in-law. They have six dogs (down from nine). (Of course, I guess it is fun 'cause I leave them there when I go).
    Regarding personalities I have to go with my buddy, Diesel (their pug). When he is off the leash he walks to the end of the property, where the road is, as my sister is calling him. He stops at the end of the driveway, looks back at her (seems to be saying "forget you") and just crosses the street! Guess the whole world calling is too much for him to resist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, but he checks with "mom" before leaving! That is too funny. Lucy will do that sometimes. She has an electric fence and if she decides to stage a jailbreak, she will turn around to see if I am looking. Diesel is a great name of a dog and I love pugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching dogs argue with their "leash companions." I hesitate to say "owners," because that's definitely not the case from the dog's perspective. Little dogs are the funniest--they are like Danny de Vito.

    ReplyDelete