Search This Blog

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cooler, and a good day for a walk

Seems incredible that I would start a post noting that it is cooler than yesterday, but it is worth mentioning; yesterday was "southern-like." It was unbearable.

At any rate, I noticed the watercress have grown back, and since this blog is about things noticed while walking the dachshund, I need to tell you about the watercress. Along a patch of road is what I think of as our own lovely little nature sanctuary. A beautiful march chocked full of wildlife. In the early Spring, it is the first place you can hear the Tree Frogs chirp. Stalks of purple Salvia grow tall in the late summer. It's cooler there then too. Lucy is especially stubborn here to stop and watch the rabbits or chase a frog.

Each year, right about this time, we always see people harvesting whatever is growing there. This has caused some consternation for Janine and me. What are they gathering? Who are these people? Not knowing what it was, we wondered if it was legal. And let's face it, no one likes to have strangers wading through the mush.

Last week, Lucy and I were out and lo if I didn't see yet another car and another woman whacking away. She had huge black trash bags filled with the stuff. With Lucy as my cover, I gathered my courage and asked her just what it was. "Watercress," she answered. "I'm from the islands. We use it in salad, soups and stews. Try it."

So, I did. And watercress it was. But it left me wondering, does anyone really need that much of it? Each week there is another van gathering bags of it. Are they reselling it and is that what we are getting at green grocers - watercress from the side of the road. Either that, or is there something else that can be done with it. Maybe it is a hallucinogenic. We need to google and see.

2 comments:

  1. Watercress, along with other herbs, can be dried and used for this new fake pot. The fact that people come in droves to harvest this herb makes me suspicious. I mean, how much watercress can a person eat? I'm just sayin'.

    Smoking these herbs laced with K2 (like THC) can pose all sorts of respiratory problems. Ironically, chewing watercress is known to help lung cancer.

    Here's the Newsweek link regarding fake pot:
    http://www.newsweek.com/2010/03/03/fake-pot-panic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! You were right!!!! That is amazing and totally scary. Maybe next time I will capture the license on my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete