Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Exercise is important, especially for a mini dashchund

I often feel our walk around the loop in my legs. As I've said, it's a very hilly loop we walk and I feel the last hill in my legs. But if I feel it, can you imagine how it must feel to Lucy? At a short 5'2", I stand at least seven times taller than she, and let's not even get into how much more I weigh. I figure that the mile and two tenths for me is the equivalent of seven for her. Yet, each day, she gamely runs out the door for our walk and doesn't usually complain until we've gone about a quarter of a mile. Then she locks her elbows and refuses to move. Sometimes I really have to pull her, skidding down the hill. Still, the exercise is important for both of us, so I insist.

Lucy doesn't have much of a vocabulary, but "walk" is one of the few words she knows. Immediately her ears pick up and she starts whipping her tail. If I go as far as to put on my shoes, well, that's it. She's off the chair, on the floor, and begging at the door. Then she's out like a bullet.

I'm always impressed that she so looks forward to the walks, considering how tired she is at the end. Maybe she is bored at home and it provides her with some intellectual stimulation. I rather doubt she is the least bit concerned about the exercise, although it is the walks that have allowed her to keep her girlish figure in spite of all the human food opportunities that exist in my house. Were it not for the walks, Lucy would look more like a bratwurst than a hot dog. Speaking of which, you might want to know that according to the L.A. Times Calorie counts of your favorite barbecue foods the brat has considerably more calories than the dog, weighing in at a whopping 283 sans the bun, while the dog, bun included, comes in at a mere 242.

But my guess is that a primitive, involuntary canine reflex kicks in and she simply can't help herself. It is always good to smell new smells, see new sights, have an adventure. So she eagerly begins each new walk. And then, when done, she walks right in the door, curls up and goes to sleep.

I guess I feel the same way. It's always nice to get outside, smell the flowers, trees and just mowed grass, hear the stream, look at the wildlife. And then, it's really good to snuggle up at home. It's a dogs life.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like my sheltie...who knows a few additional words (leash, car, cheese). It's a dog's life indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the "loop" well and used to walk it w/Hollie all the time before she became an invisible fence dog and refused to cross the end of the driveway, even without the "magic collar" unless she was driven. The big question was always which way was the more uphill direction and which the easier way. Has Lucy figured this out?

    ReplyDelete